Treasury IT Security Manager (Asst IT Director III)
We can make a dollar move…because we know how to work magic. Come work for the State Treasurer’s Office and be a part of that magic!
The State Treasurer’s Office is a Constitutional Office in the Executive Branch of Maryland State government. The Treasurer serves as a fiduciary and the Office’s responsibilities are core to the financial operations of the State – we are the State’s money-keepers, money-makers, and money-movers. The IT Division supports the Maryland State Treasurer's Constitutional duties for disbursement, receipts and reconciliation of moneys of the State. The IT Division plans, builds, programs, manages and supports all of the technology platforms that are used by the Maryland State Treasurer's Office. These systems run in-house developed programs in tandem with commercially developed software, providing the agency with highly customized applications that address specific needs.
This position serves as the manager for agency network and data security, and engages in every aspect of security oversight related to network infrastructure, network administration, and data protection management for the State Treasurer’s Office. This position works directly with Treasury Management departments including banking, investments, accounting and insurance, by providing technical expertise and customized solutions while minimizing network intrusion and data breach security risks. The incumbent is also responsible for managing specialized projects related to network infrastructure and data protection as part of the Division’s rolling 5-year Plan. In addition, this position coordinates security-related IT activity in the work areas of technical support and supervision of technical support staff, networks, web, information and communications services, governance, network security compliance, IT administration activities, systems analysis and architecture, and related project management. Due to the small size of our agency, responsibilities cover a wide variety of systems and users, and duties range from Tier 2 help desk support to developing and implementing Information Security policies, standards and procedures.
The applicant should be prepared for a challenging role that will include providing a broad range of IT support and visionary solutions needed to keep agency IT systems consistent with cutting-edge technology in the financial arena. In addition, this individual will be instrumental in the research, recommendation, and execution of security and infrastructure components of the overall IT strategy plan that will shape the continued direction of the Office. This includes private and public cloud hosting technology platforms, security monitoring, network architecture, and system upgrades that are adaptable to carry the agency into the future.
This position requires wide-ranging expert knowledge in order to ensure the security, availability, reliability, and efficiency of IT systems. This position’s specialization in IT security also requires expert knowledge of IT Security principles and best practices, sound judgment in application of that knowledge, and ability to thoroughly research issues. The ideal candidate will show a demonstrated ability to quickly learn new technologies, as well as a demonstrated ability to communicate and establish/maintain effective working relationships with management, IT co-workers, network users, and external contacts.
This is a Management Service position which serves at-will at the pleasure of the Maryland State Treasurer.
The ideal candidate should have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in computer science, computer information technology, management information systems or other IT-related field, along with seven (7) years of experience designing, developing, testing, implementing and maintaining application, communication, database, or operating systems software. In addition, preference will be given to candidates with any of the following preferred qualifications:
- CompTIA Security Plus
- Comp TIA Network Plus
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Strong IT skills and knowledge including hardware, software and networks, Windows 11, Windows Server 2012-2022, Active Directory, GPO’s, File Permissions, SCCM, Microsoft O365, Microsoft Azure, and Microsoft Defender
- Extensive experience using vulnerability/compliance scanning tools
- Experience identifying and responding to security incidents
- Knowledge of NIST standards such as NIST CSF, 800-53, FIPS 199, 200
- Extensive experience in enterprise security architecture design
- Extensive experience in enterprise security document creation
- Experience in delivering employee security awareness training
- Strong understanding of IP, TCP/IP, and other network administration protocols
- Experience managing IT staff including assigning and reviewing work, performance evaluations, time and leave management, and working with HR for personnel related issues
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION: Applicants must be willing to work onsite in the Annapolis area.
WHY WORK FOR THE STATE OF MARYLAND?
- Job stability and pinnacle experience (we are a Constitutional Office)
- Work-life balance
- Ability to make your mark through public service
- Predictable hours and hybrid teleworking schedules
- Paid holidays 12-13 per year
- Generous paid leave package (annual, sick, personal and compensatory leave)
- State Pension ("defined benefit" plan)
- Tax-deferred supplemental retirement savings plans (401(k) and 457)
- Free parking
- Comprehensive, subsidized health, dental and prescription plans with little to no deductibles, free generic prescriptions, and free preventative health services
- Flexible Spending Account plans for Health Care and Daycare
- State Employees Credit Union
- Direct Deposit
Special Requirements: Candidates must be able to lift 50 lbs, climb ladders, and work in tight spaces such as under desks. Candidates of this classification may be subject to be on call 24 hours a day and, therefore, may be required to provide the employing agency with a telephone number where the employee can be reached, and/or carry an Agency-issued phone. Candidates will be subject to a background investigation including criminal, credit and driving history.
Job opportunities within the Maryland State Treasurer’s Office are accessible through JobAps, the Statewide Recruitment, Examination and Applicant tracking system.
Electronic application is strongly encouraged. If you do not have access to a computer, you may fax your application or resume to 410-260-4090.
General questions may be directed to the STO Personnel Office at 410-260-7078.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.