Utilities Customer Information Systems Application Manager
Utilities Customer Information Systems Application Manager
Salary: $64.00 - $75.00 Hourly
Location: Seattle, WA
Job Type: Civil Service Exempt, Regular, Full-time
Department: Seattle Information Technology
Job Number: 2022-00787
Do you enjoy partnering with others to solve business challenges with innovative technology solutions? Are you passionate about delivering solutions that exceed client expectations and generate business value? Are you a strong leader with a love of technology, an obsession with continuous improvement, and a talent for motivating, growing, and developing others? If your answer is yes, then this opportunity is for you!
Seattle Information Technology (IT) is seeking an energetic, forward-thinking, technical leader who inspires the best in others. If you have a proven ability to lead high performing teams and are ready to help take our Applications Division to the next level, please apply!
Seattle IT Overview
Seattle IT is the technology backbone of the city of Seattle’s complex operations and its ability to deliver a wide array of services for the residents of Seattle. The 600+ strong professionals in Seattle IT are involved in the full spectrum of an IT enterprise offering many dynamic career opportunities. Seattle IT is a trusted partner that provides secure, reliable, and compliant technologies that enable the City to deliver equitable and responsive services to the public.
Position Overview and Description
The City of Seattle is seeking candidates for the position of Application Manager in Seattle Information Technology (Seattle IT), in support of the Utilities’ Customer Information Systems (CIS), which are built primarily on Oracle Utilities Customer Care and Billing (CCB), Oracle Utilities Meter Solution Cloud Service (MSCS) and other supporting applications and integrations.
This role will collaborate with the City departments that use the system (primarily Seattle City Light and Seattle Public Utilities) and the other IT teams that support the Customer Information Systems (CIS), interfaces, databases, and infrastructure. This role will plan long-term system goals, and then realize these goals by orchestrating near term objectives.
Successful candidates will have strong leadership abilities, a technical background, be detail driven, and have excellent problem solving and communication skills. You should not only be passionate about delivering leading-edge IT solutions but should also be obsessed with continuous improvement, contributing to the development of high-performing teams and individuals, and possess a high degree of emotional intelligence.
- Manage application lifecycle activities for the utilities CIS, which includes the following applications: Customer Care and Billing (CCB), Oracle Utilities Meter Solution Cloud Service (MSCS), our utilities Customer Self Service (UCSS) ePortal, Autosys batch processing, and EngageOne products for utilities customer billing, letters, and notices.
- Manage over 40 integrations with city systems and external 3rd party systems.
- Manage a technical team of application developers, business systems analysts, and release managers.
- Work collaboratively with functional leads, business partners, and other IT teams to align system goals and strategy and ensure success as well the adherence to risk, compliance, information security, and privacy requirements.
- Execute product strategies and create/maintain product roadmaps that prioritize customer needs, and lead to cost effective service delivery.
- Lead, inspire, manage, and motivate a team of technical staff. Develop and grow their soft and technical skills through coaching, training, and professional development plans.
- Assist with translating business goals, feature concepts, vendor solutions and customer needs into comprehensive requirements and compelling business plans.
- Manage vendor software, service, and consulting partnerships and contracts to ensure scope and quality objectives are met.
- Manage technical activities to meet expected service levels.
- Maximize system performance through coaching and training technical staff and contribute to the hiring and retaining the best possible team.
- Collaborate with other system leads and managers in change management activities.
- Own and manage major system incidents and events.
- Articulate and drive resolution to issues and foster communication in all directions. Adeptly deliver tough messages in a way the builds partnerships and inspires action.
- Define and analyze comprehensive metrics to measure and monitor performance, determine the success of products post implementation, quantify the benefits and return on investments, and inform ongoing strategic planning.
- Manage communication at all levels of leadership regarding product goals and progress to goals.
- Constantly evaluate and improve the tools and processes used to effectively deliver products and services more rapidly and cost effectively.
- Play a key leadership role within the Applications Division to develop and execute a strategy that meets business objectives and enables critical decision making.
- Other duties as assigned.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered for the required qualifications except where specifically noted.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, or a closely related field, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- 5+ years’ experience in progressively responsible technology roles.
- 3+ years’ experience directly supervising technical staff such as developers, business systems analysts, QA testers, etc.
- 5+ years’ experience engaging with all levels of management including senior level executives.
- 3 years of experience with a variety of integrations including real-time using middleware as well as batch processes.
- Demonstrated strong vendor management skills.
- Proven leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Deep knowledge of project management, application development and support methodologies, and application life cycle management.
- Demonstrated experience with Waterfall, Agile and Iterative development.
- Experience creating strong working relationships with customers, peers, and technology teams across all levels of the organization.
Skills and Abilities:
- Possess a high degree of emotional intelligence and understand the importance of empathy, building relationships, and teamwork.
- Ability to produce high quality deliverables while maintaining schedule commitments.
- Demonstrated ability to drive a body of work to completion independently and as part of a project team.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in order to convey technical information to non-technical staff or customers; commitment to excellent customer service; outstanding customer relationship skills.
- Proven ability to proactively solve problems and recommend solutions. Strong analytical and critical thinking skills. Process orientation with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to deal with demanding pace and changing priorities and the ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, use good judgment and discretion, and interact with diverse workforce within the City and customer base.
- 7+ years’ experience in progressively responsible technology roles.
- 5+ years of Utility systems experience, with at least three years managing CCB specifically.
- Ability to build trust and engagement with executives, customers, peers and team.
- Ability to spot opportunities, seize them, and learn.
- Experience with managed services contracts and Service Level Agreements.
- Electrical and water utility experience.
- Government/public sector experience.
Please submit your resume and cover letter along with your online application at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle/.
Employees of the City of Seattle enjoy competitive pay and comprehensive benefits package generous leave programs, and the satisfaction of doing work that helps make Seattle a great place to live, work, and play. Explore City of Seattle – Benefits at a Glance (Download PDF reader) for more information.
Workplace Environment (Telework Expectation):
Most work is performed in a normal City work/office environment; however, due to the ongoing pandemic this team is working remotely. This is subject to change as circumstances dictate.
All City of Seattle employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Failure to submit proof of vaccination or qualify for a reasonable accommodation will result in withdrawal of the job offer.
NOTE: This hiring process involves a background check of conviction and arrest records in compliance with Seattle’s Fair Chance Employment Ordinance, SMC 14.17. Applicants will be provided an opportunity to explain or correct background information.
Who May Apply: This position is open to all candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. The Department encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experiences. Accommodations for people with disabilities are provided on request.
- City of Seattle
- Seattle Municipal Tower
700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500
Seattle, Washington, 98104