Data Platform Architect
Note: The salary range listed ($122,000 - $144,000 per year) reflects the target hiring range for this position.
About Central Arizona Project
Central Arizona Project (CAP), a 336-mile system that brings Colorado River water to central and southern Arizona, delivers the state's single largest renewable water supply and serves 80% of the state's population.
We employ nearly 500 people who enjoy a team oriented and safety focused work culture. The close community of a small company is driven to help fulfill our extremely valuable mission. We offer highly competitive salaries and excellent benefits including membership in the Arizona State Retirement System, 401(k), medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage, 4-10 work schedule, and significant investment in employee training and development. Employees are eligible for benefits on their first day of employment. CAP is truly a great place to work!
Note: Hybrid telework option available after onboarding period.
About the Analytics and Information Management (AIM) Department
The Analytics and Information Management Department was recently formed, as part of a top-down initiative, to address data and information management and governance at the enterprise level. This is a great time to join the team and help drive the data direction for the enterprise. The AIM group handles data management, analytics, visualization, GIS and records and information management.
About the Position
The Data Platform Architect’srole is to help design and manage the data ingestion pipeline in our Azure cloud environment. Assist other architects to strategically design and implement business intelligence, data warehouses, and data integration solutions as an integrated centrally designed platform while ensuring high levels of data availability and quality. This individual will design and manage ETL processes, data pipeline code and the CI/CD environment. Some essential functions and responsibilities include to:
- Develop and deliver long-term strategic goals for data platform vision and standards in conjunction with data users, department managers, governance committee members and other key stakeholders.
- Establish methods and procedures for tracking data quality, completeness, redundancy, and improvement.
- Conduct data capacity planning, life cycle, duration, usage requirements, feasibility studies, and other tasks.
- Ensure that data strategies and architectures are in regulatory compliance and follow best practice.
- Evaluate and recommend data platform components, including reporting, analytics, database management systems, integrations software, data mining tools, and metadata management tools.
- Select and implement the appropriate data platform tools, software, applications, and systems to support data technology goals.
- Mapping of data sources, data movement, interfaces, and analytics, to ensure data quality.
- Execute data warehouse configuration and performance tuning.
- Identify inefficiencies and gaps in the current data platform and leverage solutions to ensure data standards
- Identify data discrepancies and data quality issues, and work to ensure data consistency and integrity.
- Diagnose and work with IT and data personnel to resolve data warehouse access and performance issues.
- Monitor system details within the data platform, including data warehouse storage and execution time, and implement efficiency improvements.
- Develop, implement, and maintain change control and testing processes for modifications to data systems.
- Document the data architecture and environment to maintain a current and accurate view of the larger data picture.
- Work with data team and end-users to identify, create, and deliver data and reports according to requirements.
See the full position description on our site for more details about essential functions and requirements.
About the Qualifications
The successful candidate for this position will have:
- A bachelor’s degree (or higher) from an accredited university in a relevant technical field including, but not limited to computer science, computer engineering, information systems, mathematics, or systems engineering.
- Seven (7) years technical experience with designing, modeling, building, installing, configuring, and supporting data warehouses.
- Experience with data platforms, including Azure data platform, Oracle, SQL Server
- Strong understanding of SQL and NoSQL structures, theories, principles, and practices.
- Experience with data processing flowcharting techniques.
- Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent technical architecture and technical support documentation skills.
- Demonstrated leadership ability in the data realm.
- Ability to research data issues, standards, and products as required.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret technical information and apply it to corporate goals.
If standards, structure, analysis, code management, and data management are your strengths, and you’d like to be part of an organization that makes a difference in Arizona while enjoying a great work/life balance, APPLY ONLINE today! Your water, your future.